Friday, April 4, 2014

Natural Food Expo, 2014, Part 3

I walk through the food show with a paper and pen in hand, and most of the vendors think I'm a journalist. They want to tell me all about their product. That's a good thing, but some of them go on and on. I spent a total of about 4 hours tasting and learning about the interesting products. Here are a few more of my favorites.

Cherry Valle Farms makes boxed mixes for breads, pancakes and granola. They were all delicious. The three I sampled were blueberry and banana bread (two separate things) and cranberry granola. These are great products. Another favorite of mine was from Madhava. They make something like Crystal Lite, but it's made with agave. Luscious lemonade, peachy green tea and a coconut flavored drink were wonderful. They also make a pancake syrup with agave, very thick and sweet. Two Moms In The Raw make several items. Nut bars, truffles, and cereal. I loved the nut bars. (like an energy bar).

Marukome had a unique idea to show off its miso soup. They have a miso soup mix that just needs water, but they showed it off in a very unique way. They had a little bar of toppings to add to the miso soup: green onions, croutons, tofu, asparagus, seaweed, and edamame were all toppings that you could add to your soup. They gave you a cup of soup, and you added your own toppings. Clever. Suzie's makes a chocolate spread with olives, which I decided not to taste. It didn't appeal to me. Suzies also makes naan crackers and flatbreads. A butter substitute made by Melt, is very good. It comes in regular and chocolate flavor, and is available at Albertson's and Von's. Finally, Cedars and Mediterranean, makes beet hummus, taboule and other Mediterranean delights.

One final thing. Many of the yogurt companies were giving samples of yogurt, but rather than the low fat or 0%fat yogurts I'm used to eating, they all gave samples of the full fat yogurt. I had forgotten how absolutely delicious full fat yogurt is, and how thick and creamy it is, compared to the low fat version. It's 200 calories per container, rather than 80-100 calories for the lower fat version. I guess I'll stick with the low fat for now, and save the full fat yogurt for special occasions. It really is a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment