Friday, June 27, 2014

Do You Remember Bullocks?

Where was I not long ago, that we who had grown up in California, commented on how we missed Bullock's Department Store? Just thinking about Bullock's brings so many childhood memories back to me. It got me thinking about the department store and my childhood. Here's a little bit of history about Bullock's and then, some of my favorite memories of it's place in my childhood.
I grew up in Bullock's Westwood. It was a short walk from my house, and years before I was driving, my friends and I would walk to Westwood and shop at Bullock's. There were no other department stores in Westwood. Bullock's had it all. Whatever I needed, I could find it there. My fondest memories of Bullock's are my visits to the lunchroom for lunch and a fashion show with mom. Oh, how I loved these afternoons. We would go up to the third floor (restaurant and beauty shop were on the third floor), take our seat, order lunch, and wait for the fashion show to start. Bullock's had about 5 models that would model clothes, and do two or three changes, so we got to see a lot outfits. Bullock's was smart. They had mature models, young models, thin models and heavier models. There was one particular model that worked there for many years. She had grey hair, and must have been about 70. She was so attractive and elegant in the outfits they chose for her, I still remember her 55 years later. Anyway, lunch at Bullock's and a fashion show is one of my fondest childhood memories.
I almost forgot to tell you about the tea room at Bullock's Wilshire. That store was quite far from where I lived, so we only went there on special occasions, like when my Grandma came to town. They served a "Coffee Crunch Cake" that I can taste to this day. It was so fantastic, in fact I have seen the recipe reprinted in magazines from time to time. (too much trouble to make). Another great childhood memory that will not be forgotten. Whoops...The coffee crunch cake was not at Bullock's Wilshire, but Blum's on Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills.  Thanks, Laurie, for reminding me.  Blum's was another great restaurant from the past, with lots of memories, but we'll save that for another time.






No comments:

Post a Comment