Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What Can Oil Pulling Do For You?

Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic method for detox and rejuvenation. It's simple, and according to some people I have talked to, gets remarkable results. To oil pull, simply swish your choice of unrefined, high quality oil in your mouth, much like you would mouthwash. Traditionally, virgin sesame oil is used, but some people prefer coconut, because of its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and enzymatic properties. It takes just a few minutes. The process attracts and removes bacteria, toxins, and parasites that live in your mouth and it also pulls congestion and mucus from your throat and loosens up your sinuses. Here's how to do it if you're so inclined. Scoop 1/2 to one full tablespoon of oil into your mouth, then push, swirl and pull the oil between your teeth, around your gums, and allow it to touch every part of your mouth except your throat. Do this for up to 20 minutes, if you can. If the oil is cold, allow the oil to melt before beginning. When finished, spit into the trash or toilet (never the sink), then rinse your mouth out with water two or three times. Finally, drink a glass of water and relax. You should feel fresh and rejuvenated. The reason for oil pulling is to find relief from congestion in the sinuses and throat. I have been told that those with chronic sinus congestion experience relief unlike anything else. I have also heard that there is great benefit to gums and teeth.

I figured I should try oil pulling if I was going to write about it, so I did.  I bought some coconut oil at Sprouts and followed the procedure listed above.  Swishing oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes was impossible for me.  I only lasted about 7 minutes.  I did this for three days before I tired of it, and can honestly say I felt no benefit.  Perhaps I wasn't swirling long enough, or maybe I needed to do I for a longer time period.  I find that some many of the ancient remedies I have tried simply do not work for me.  They must work for someone or they wouldn't have lasted all these years.  Try and let me know what you think.






No comments:

Post a Comment