Monday, February 2, 2015

More Restaurant Openings and Closings

One thing is for sure.  Things can change rapidly on the food scene in San Diego, and I can't eat enough meals to keep up with it.  So, I will let you know about some of the openings and closings, but I have not yet gone to most of them.  Unfortunately, most of the restaurants are south of Del Mar, a good 30-45 minute trip for me.  Some are worth the trip, others, not so much.

Recently opened in Carmel Valley is Kens Sushi.  I have not been there, but I have it on good authority that this is great food.  On the pricey side, so maybe lunch is the best time to try it.  Also opening soon in Carmel Valley is Sea Salt Bistro.  It will take over the space on Carmel Valley Road formerly occupied by Edemame.  In Carlsbad, we now have Perfect Pairings.  I had not heard of it before reading about it online, but it sounds interesting, and I will try it soon.  It pairs food with wine, the menu changes frequently, and they have lots of brewery and winery events at the restaurant.

Juice Crafters, originally from LA, has come to San Diego, and has six locations on their immediate schedule.  Little Italy is open, and La Jolla and Hillcrest will soon be open.  They serve the latest juice concept, cold pressed juices.  In Hillcrest you might also want to try The Whole Pig.  It's a barbeque catering company, now a restaurant, with the focus on, you guessed it, pork.  They serve two regional styles of pulled pork, Cuban sandwiches (yum), and side dishes like collard greens and black eye peas.  The restaurant I'm really looking forward to is Rick Bayless' Red O, which will be taking over the space formerly occupied by Donovan's in La Jolla.  They are completely renovating the space, adding lots of square footage, and plan to open mid 2016.  Red O  will serve steaks and chops and Mexican food with a sophisticated flair.  In UTC Lemonade, a chain of restaurants from Los Angeles will open in Westfield Shopping Center.  They serve healthy prepared salads from their case and sandwiches.  I love their food.  My favorite lunch there is a three salad combo, where you pick out three different prepared salads from the cold case.  Food is just delicious.

Finally, Mozza in the Headquarters closed its doors a few months ago.  It was bound to happen.  I was there several times and never had a meal that came close to what was served at their Hollywood location.  Different management means different food, different service, different attitude.  Even though Mozza had big name chefs behind it, the San Diego location missed.

North County is slow to get great new restaurants, but one of my favorites just opened in The Forum.  Urban Plates is up and running and I expect it to be a great hit.  Fresh, delicious food just like the one in Del Mar will make lines out the door inevitable.  I don't mind.  Next month, more openings and closings to keep you eating out.

No comments:

Post a Comment