Friday, July 31, 2015

There's Safety In Numbers

Ron and I had a frightening experience the other night.  We walked over to our community Jacuzzi around 8:30, as we do several times each week.  There are usually four or five other people in the Jacuzzi, and it's a nice chance to talk and relax.  On this evening, there was one older man in the hot tub, hanging on to the step railing and lying on his back.  He was alone.  I thought he was just relaxing, but it soon became apparent that he was struggling.  He was paralyzed on one side of his body, had moved down to the bottom step of the Jacuzzi and could not get back.  Had we not arrived, this could have turned into a tragedy.  Although there were a dozen or so people in the pool, they could not see or hear this gentleman.  With the help of two adults, we were eventually able to get him out of the Jacuzzi and seated on his walker.  He was exhausted, and had he been alone he likely would have drowned.  I keep thinking of  what I was told as child.  "Never swim alone.  You can drown in a foot of water."  I hope this man remembers that in the future.

It is always safer to do things in numbers, especially as you get older.  NEVER swim or Jacuzzi alone.  Never hike alone.  We hear of tragedies every month.  It's advisable to bike with a partner, and even walk in pairs.  I always carry ID  and a phone with me when I walk, even in Ocean Hills.  While hiking, boogie boarding or swimming, I am always with a group.  I still keep my phone handy.  You never know when you might need it.

It's difficult to admit to yourself that you can't do the same things you did 20 years ago, that you may actually need help.  I know many younger men and women that job and hike and bike alone, but this is not safe for seniors.  Bring a friend with you and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment