Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Mediterranean Eggplant Dip

On my last trip to Zion and 99 Ranch Markets in San Diego, I bought a Chinese eggplant.  It is similar to the Japanese eggplant, although lighter in color, thinner, but much longer.  The one I bought was about 18 inches long.  I used it to make a delicious Mediterranean eggplant dip.  It's easy to work with, as the skin is thin and easy to peel.  I served the dip with pita triangles.  Here's the recipe.  I hope you enjoy it.

                                         Mediterranean Eggplant Dip

1/4 c. capers
2 lbs eggplant
salt and pepper
olive oil
1 cup chopped scallions
1 cup chopped parsley, flat leaf
1 garlic clove
1 tsp lemon zest
3 T. lemon juice
2 T. pomegranate molasses (I used regular molasses, but a little less)
2 T. yogurt

Rinse capers, then soak in lukewarm water for 20 minutes, and rinse again.  Set aside.  Peel and cube eggplant, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil, and cook on a cookie sheet for 20 at 400 degrees or until eggplant is golden brown and soft.  Remove and pulse in a blender until coarsely chopped.  Then add all other ingredients and pulse until incorporated.  I like to keep the mixture with some texture, but you can blend it to your desired smoothness.  Serve with triangles of pita bread or pita chips.  It is delicious, and you can also use it as a sandwich or wrap spread, then top with veggies.  Any way to serve it, it's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment