Monday, April 10, 2017

Facts About Sleepwalking

I'm reading a book called The Sleepwalker.  It peaked my interest about this condition, and I wanted to find out more.  Sleepwalking, or somnambulism, is a parasomnia.  A parasomnia involves undesired events that come along with sleep.

Sleepwalking occurs most often during the first third of a night's sleep.  This is the slow wave cycle of sleep.  It is seen most often in children, who usually out grow it.  It seems to be hereditary too.  The length of sleepwalking is usually 5-30 minutes, although it can go longer.  It also can occur in adults, although it is not as common.

Eyes are usually open during sleepwalking, but have a confused, glassy look to them.  In young children, sleepwalking usually involves just walking around the room, possibly walking into the parents room, or sitting up in be.  In older children and adults, actions may involve crude, strange behavior, like urinating in a trash can, moving furniture, climbing out a window, or driving a car.  It can also result in hostile and violent behavior.

When I was a teen, I had a good friend who lived next door.  She was a sleepwalker and talker, and I recall my sleepovers with her as bizarre.  I don't remember her sleeping at my house too often.  I usually went to her house, and without fail, every overnight was unique.  She would sit up in bed, usually late at night just after we had turned out the lights, or early in the morning, just before getting up.  She would talk about her parents, boys, school, etc.  I would ask her questions and she would answer.  It was almost like she was hipnotized.  Our little talks would go on for awhile, maybe 30-45 minutes, then she would just wake up.  I hadn't thought about this childhood friend for years, until I started reading The Sleepwalker, which is about an adult female sleepwalker.  I don't recall telling anyone about these strange happenings when I slept over, it  was just too weird.

Today, there is a large body of research on sleep and sleepwalking, and children and adults can get the help they need.  The biggest concern is that they may hurt themselves, or in rare instances, become violent and hurt someone else.  Luckily, there is help for those that suffer from somnambulism.

No comments:

Post a Comment