Wednesday, October 4, 2017

You Never Know What You've Got Until It's Gone

My community has patrol guards at both the front and back gate.  Having a guard there all the time at the front gate, and most of the time at the back gate, makes people feel safe and secure.  I come in the back gate most of the time, give a wave or a short greeting to my favorite guard, Louis, who was a fixture there most evenings  for years.  One day I noticed Louis was not there.  I thought he was just on vacation, and would be back in a week or so, but time went by, and Louis did not return.  I missed his smiling face, his greeting by name, and short conversation.  He made my day happier, just by a short wave and a smile.  I did some investigation and found that he was sick and would not return, if ever, for a few months.  A new guard replaced Louis.  He also waved to everyone, but he wasn't Louis.  While Louis was gone, all the guards learned what a fine employee Louis was, and how he made each and every resident feel special.  All the guards took Louis' lead, and started waving and smiling to residents.  This was much appreciated by residents, and has made all of the employees better.

About two weeks ago, I drove up to the back gate and noticed a bunch of balloons saying "Welcome Back," tied to a tree.  They were for Louis, who was finally back where he belonged.  50 pounds thinner, with a big smile on his face, and wave of his hand, our Louis was home.  We're so happy to have him back.  He makes everyone's day a little happier, and has made all the guards in Ocean Hills better employees.  It's amazing how one man can change the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment