Monday, May 24, 2021

Energy Insecurity


 Today was a strange day.  I returned to Los Angeles from Phoenix the night before.  I drove there to visit friends, and decided I would feel more comfortable driving a traditional gas vehicle for 400 miles on my own, so I borrowed my mom's Lexus.  This morning I left her home with Pepper, in my all electric Bolt.  I normally get a full charge at a charging station near her home before I leave, but this time I did not.  I had 145 miles (supposedly) left before I would be out of electricity.  Since it's only 105 miles door to door, from her home to mine, I figured I would be ok.

Well, around the checkpoint near Camp Pendleton I looked at the odometer and noticed I only had about 35 miles left.  I wasn't sure I could make it home, and started to panic.  Luckily I had two apps on my phone which told me where nearby charging stations were.  I decided to go to the Oceanside train station, where I knew there were a number of charging stations.  I got there with about 22 miles left.  (car was on reserve at this point).  Well, you have to have a registered Blink card to activate the charger, and I don't have that.  I only have Chargepoint and Evgo.  So, after walking around the train station for 15 minutes and talking to workers, I knew I was not getting the car charged there.  Luckily, there was another charging station only a mile away on N. Cleveland, in a public parking garage.  I found it easily and plugged in.  I breathed a sigh of relief.

I walked out of the parking garage, and discovered a coffee bistro and bar, called Parlor Donuts.  What a find.  I ordered coffee and a french toast donut.  They had maybe a dozen different delectable flavors, and I can't wait to try another.  I sat outside the busy cafe, met some lovely people from Oceanside and spent 15 minutes talking with them.  Talk about making lemonade out of lemons!  I was panicked about running out of power, and in the process, I found a fabulous new coffee and donut shop, met some new friends, and discovered that I CAN work things out if I have to.  Next time you're near the train station in Oceanside, try Parlor donuts.  They have about 6 locations around the country, including Denver, Nashville, and Evansville, Indiana.  


No comments:

Post a Comment