Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tony Curtis Salad

Back in the 50's, one of my mom's favorite recipes was something she called Tony Curtis Salad. I think she called it that because the recipe was from Janet Leigh, who said it was something her husband loved. Here it is, modernized, as I use Splenda instead of sugar, to make it 0 weight watchers points and 0 calories. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I've been eating it for over 50 years.

Tony Curtis Salad
  • 2 cucumbers peeled, sliced VERY thin, and pressed for several hours to remove water (salt sliced cucumbers, put them in a colander with a heavy can on top)
  • Dried dill to taste (about 1 tablespoon)
  • White wine vinegar (about 3 tablespoons)
  • Splenda, or other sweetner- 2 packs
  • Red onion, thinly sliced

Mix all ingredients. This is better made a day in advance, to give the cucumbers time to marinate. I use this as a side salad with fish, especially salmon, or just as a snack. It is really delicious and no calories. Obviously if you don't want to use artifical sweetner, just use sugar to taste. To make it a creamy salad, just add a little low fat sour cream. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment