Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Biking In Beautiful Ocanside

I've turned into a maniac spinner in the past few months. The doctor told me that cycling was the best possible exercise I could do for my knees, much better than walking. So I cut back on the walking and started spinning three times a week at the Y.

My first class was a bit intimidating. All these super fit men and women, most in their 30's and 40's sweating, and yelling and having a ball. There are some older people too, all very fit. I walk in, find a bike in the back, and get on. By the time the first class was over, I was hooked. I can't believe how strong I've gotten just in the few months I've been spinning. I really love it. I have always been fearful of riding outside. There are so many cars these days, and hardly a month goes by that I don't hear of a death or bad accident in our area. However, a few of my friends who bike regularly encouraged me to join them on a recent Tuesday morning in Oceanside. I did.

The ride began at the San Luis Rey Bikepath, right near the Oceanside train station. We rode the whole length of the path and back, which took us about 2 hours. Kim let me borrow her bike, and away we went. Except for a swarm of bees that circled my head for about 20 seconds and scared the hell out of me, it was a great day. I had noticed as we were riding that were a number of yellow and black bumble bees walking along the bike path. Then came the swarm. Man, was I scared. In those few seconds I had flashes of being stung by the swarm and having to be airlifted to a hospital. You can't imagine what went through my mind in just a few short seconds.

Of course 2 hours of biking made us very hungry, so we stopped at BeachBreake Cafe in Oceanside on the way home. This is one of my favorite breakfast spots in the San Diego area, but it's also excellent, and reasonable, for lunch. I had a delicious 1/3 pound burger with fries, for $6.25. Others at our table had a veggie scramble and biscuits, a short stack of blueberry pancakes (huge) and a chicken torta sandwich.

I loved the outdoor biking, and the next time these ladies go again to a place without cars, I will join them. In the meantime I will keep spinning at the Y. I'm training for the bikethon fundraiser in February....

No comments:

Post a Comment