Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Love Breakfast


My favorite meal of the day is probably breakfast. I like everything associated with this meal. My almost daily breakfast is Twigs and Fiber Cereal from Trader Joe's. It has almonds and cranberries in it, in addition to twigs and fiber. I add a few fresh blueberries, 1/3 sliced banana, and skim milk. That breakfast holds me for hours. I also love granola, and although we always associate granola with a healthy breakfast, it is also a very high calorie cereal. However, if you make your own it will be better and you can control the calories by what you add to the mixture. Here is one recipe I use for homemade granola. I will often sprinkle this mixture on greek yogurt for a healthy, delicious, and not too calorie dense breakfast.

Susie's Homemade Granola

4 cups rolled oats (long cooking)
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup water
6 oz dried cranberries, raisins, blueberries or cherries

Heat oven to 300 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together.

Make a well in the center and add oil, honey and water. Toss the mixture until all the ingredients are well combined, then spread on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with Pam.

Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly brown, stirring every 10 minutes. Let it cool completely, stir in cranberries or other dried fruit after cool. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 7 cups.

Coconut is another ingredient you may want to add. Almonds are also a good addition instead of walnuts. I am working now to reduce the calories by using agave instead of brown sugar, but I have not yet perfected it. This recipe is higher than regular cereal in calories, but it is also high in fiber. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment