Thursday, July 26, 2012

More Aging Challenges: Mohs Surgery

I had my first Mohs surgery today.  Many of you who read this blog have also had it, so most of this won't be new to you.  Dr. Mohs created this specific technique of removing skin cancer.  He realized that the skin defect may grow roots, and just removing the surface defect may not be enough.  The procedure removes one layer, tests it, then removes another and another, until the area is clean of cancer.  My procedure required three layers, then the stitching.  The result is a stitched area on my left cheek, about the size of a nickel. 

I discovered this small basal cell carcinoma a few months ago.  It was a little round area, smaller than a pea, that was white and flaky.  The first approach was to freeze off the defect, but that came right back.  The next thing that was done was a biopsy of the defect.  After waiting 10 days I got the news.  Basal cell carcinoma, requiring Mohs surgery. 

Luckily the doctor had an opening in about 5 days, so I didn't have to wait for weeks.  I must have been anxious, because my BP was 175/74 when I arrived at the doctor's office.  Everything went well.  A little shot of novacaine was all I really felt.  The first layer was removed, and I went to the waiting room to sit with Ron for an hour while the pathologists examined the slide.  I needed more removed, and the procedure was repeated 2 more times.  Finally, all clear.  By this time the novacaine was wearing off and I had some pain, so I told Dr. Thomas to numb me up.  He did, and he completed the stiching in about 10 minutes. I'm icing my face every hour to keep the swelling down, and in a few weeks I should be as good as new.

Only negative is that once you've had one basal cell carcenoma, you 're 50/50 to get another.  Dr. Thomas saw two other defects on my face that also need to be checked.   I'm pretty sure one of them will have to be removed.  Oh, the saga of aging.  You fix one thing, and something else breaks.  Lucky for modern medicine.  The doctors keep putting us back together. 

One final thing.  Dr. Thomas told me that 30 SPF is sufficient sunscreen protection.  He also told me that by the end of the year, no sunscreen above 50 will be sold.  I don't know why, but that's what it will be.  As I told my kids today, the best protection against basal cell carcinoma is to teach your kids, from the time they're tots, to wear sunscreen and a hat at all times.  I just got myself a new hat, and if I don't have it on next time you see you, you have permission to kick my butt.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear your surgery went well Susie! Rod had Mohs surgery a year ago, and has had a few other more minor surgeries to remove skin cancers in between. Happily so far none have been diagnosed as melanomas. I too have had several pre-cancerous moles or interesting looking dark spots removed.

    I have learned to be more selective (more careful!)in choosing my sunscreen along the way, some brands I thought were among the best contained toxic compounds such as parabins, oxybenzone (linked to hormone disruption) and retinyl palmitate (actually INcreases risk of skin cancer!). They (the experts) also advise selecting lotions over sprays (the tiny particles in the air are toxic to breathe in) and nothing more than 30 SFP. One can google 'sunscreens to avoid' to find a myriad of links with lots of info, including naming the worst brands, as well as the best sunscreens. Certainly worth spending a little more and saving our skins!

    ReplyDelete