Monday, July 2, 2012

Speculoos Cookie Butter

About a year ago I wrote about a delicious product, Biscoff Spread. It comes from Lotus Bakery, and it is mainly available online. It looks like peanut butter, but is made from speculoos cookies. It's amazingly addictive. It's a spread similar to Nutella, and is very popular in Europe, but just making its way to the U.S. Recently Trader Joe's started carrying something called "Speculoos Cookie Butter." It's the same product in a different package, and you've got to try it.

When I saw this product at Trader Joe's I knew it was just like the Biscoff spread. Speculoos cookies are buttery, brown sugar and spice cookies. For the spread they are crumbled, then additional ingredients, like margarine and more sugar are added. The Trader Joe's spread comes from the Netherlands, is $3.49 for a jar of delishisness. It is only 90 calories per tablespoon, but you wouldn't eat more than that at one time. Spread it on pancakes, English muffins or toast. Dip pretzels in it. Get creative. You can substitute it for peanut butter in cookies. I think this will become a staple in your pantry.

Several years ago my mom introducted me to a restaurant in Los Angeles (it's a chain) called Le Pain Cotedian. It's a little French bistro that we both love, and on each table they have their own product, similar to the Speculoos Cookie Butter. It's so good you want to eat it right out of the jar. My mom loves the spread, so when I tasted this product for the first time, I called my mom right away. I sent her to Trader Joe's to get her own bottle of the delicious spread. She loves the stuff more than me, so I doubt if it will last long at her home. She said she's going to have to hide it from herself!

If you're close to a Trader Joe's you can try Speculoos Cookie Butter too. You're going to love it, as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment