Friday, October 26, 2012

Autumn, San Diego Style

While much of the country is readying itself for winter, San Diego is enjoying warm weather, cool nights, warm sea temperatures, and a bit of rain. No wonder our weather is the envy of everyone. Yes, fall is a beautiful season in general, with cool crisp air, the trees turning colors, and even snow. My friend Judy, who lives in Big Bear, California told me they had their first snow in early October. But San Diego weather can't be beat. My boogie board group decided that we might not all want to boogie board when the water temperature cools, so we'd make a trip down to Coronado, as a farewell to summer. 12 of us carpooled to Coronado, parked on the street just north of the Del Coronado Hotel, grabbed our gear (boards, wetsuits for some, chair, and lunch) and set up close to the beach. We had a ball. Talking, laughing, boogie boarding, wiping out, getting up, all with a smile on our faces. Our resident photographer Jan, took many pictures of us, but without permission I don't dare publish pictures of this group in bathing suits. That could be the end of a lovely friendship. Anyway, the water was a bit cold for me. I hate wearing a wetsuit, so I usually only boogie board when the weather is warm. 67 degrees is about as cold as I can stand it. However, the water had quickly cooled off. On Thursday the water was 69 degrees, but on Friday, when we went to Coronado, the water had dropped to 64 degrees. I was ready to stay on the beach, but Christa convinced me that I could do it, and she was right. I got in, and although I froze my butt off, I had a ball. After boogie boarding, we all sat around and had a picnic lunch. Most brought extra food, so we all shared cookies, fruit and crackers. Lots of talking, telling stories, and planning our next adventure. Brandi has an idea for something exciting, and everyone sounded interested. There were lots of tourists on the beach. One group of Japanese people caught our attention. A young man in the group must have taken hundreds of pictures of us. We couldn't figure out why we were so interesting. We figured we will either show up on u tube or in some Japanese magazine. We never knew that anyone would find a group of 50's, 60's and 70's women so interesting. It's almost the end of October, and with just a bit of drizzle for the past few days, we're now headed for some more hot weather. The next few days are scheduled to be close to 90 degrees. I'm going with a few friends to Long Beach, to take a Segway tour. Can't wait. With fall weather in San Diego, you always plan to do something fun outside. Why would anyone want to live anywhere else?

No comments:

Post a Comment