Friday, October 5, 2012

Sausage Soup

The trouble with my son Phil is that he never writes down a recipe.  He's a fantastic cook, but unless he's baking, his measurements are all estimates.  I go to Boulder a few times a year to visit, and he always makes some wonderful meals.  The problem is that he can't tell me how he made something so I have a problem coming home and duplicating something he made.  However, when I was there in August, Phil made a most wonderful hearty soup that I knew I could duplicate, without too much trouble.  I made my version of Phil's sausage soup, and here it is for you.  By the way, it was good.

                                          Phil's Sausage Soup

1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth (could use beef)
1 Kelbasa sausage, cut into bite size pieces (I used mild, but you could spice it up)
2 carrots, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 bay leaves
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz. can)
1 can northern white beans (or any beans of your choice)
1/2 bunch lacinato kale (flat kale, not curly), finely chopped (actually, I cut it in thin strips)

Take kelbasa sausage, carrots, onion, galic and bay leaves and cook in a little olive oil until tender.  Add everything else, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Discard bay leaves. 

I served this with a wonderful homemade (yes, I made it from scratch) foccaccia, with a nice glass of wine.  It was flavorful and delicious, very filling, and healthy.  We ate this on a warm night in September, but I will make it again during the winter.  Perfect for a cold winter night's meal.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment