Friday, August 2, 2013

Anqi Means Elegance And Fine Food

For years while living in Los Angeles, Crustacean in Beverly Hills was one of my favorite restaurants. Owned by Helene An, it was a blend of Vietnamese and French food. It was elegant beyond belief, and attracted an equally elegant crowd of diners. The prices were out of sight, but for a special evening out there was no more special restaurant in Los Angeles. Garlic crab and garlic noodles were my two favorite dishes, and although I hadn't had them in years, when I heard the name Crustacean the other day, my mouth started watering for their garlic noodles. I was at the dog park talking to Angela, a young woman whom I had recently met there. She started talking about her husband Nick, who was a sommelier at a fancy restaurant in San Diego, but is now looking for a new position. I don't know how we got on the subject of Crustacean in Beverly Hills, but we did, and through the course of the conversation I found out that Crustacean has another restaurant in South Coast Plaza called Anqi. It is run by some of the daughters of Helene An, and they are doing a fine job. I asked Charlene, another dog park friend and foodie, if she'd like to try Anqi for lunch. She was delighted to join me, and on a sunny Wednesday, we headed north. All I can say is WOW. Anqi is one of the prettiest restaurants I've ever seen. It is simple Asian décor, but with such elegance! You look in one room and are visually delighted, then turn the corner to see a new and different décor that is equally appealing. As beautiful as the restaurant was visually, the taste and service were just as good. Service is impeccable. The servers are helpful without being overbearing. The food is a pleasure to look at, almost too pretty to eat. We had three items, and ate family style. Of course we had the garlic noodles, although one bowl is never enough. They are so incredible tasty you could eat until you pop. But we refrained, as we also had tempura shrimp, which was served with butter lettuce(to wrap the shrimp in)glass noodles, pickled veggies, and a mild chili sauce. Excellent. Finally, we had a grilled calamari salad, with butter lettuce. My plate was empty after all this food, my stomach was full, and I was HAPPY. I can't wait to go again and try some other dishes. The menu also includes some sushi rolls, Vietnamese sandwiches, and some Chinese dishes like beef and vegetables, but always with a twist. If you're not up to sitting in the fancy restaurant, try the noodle bar, next to the entrance to Bloomingdales. You can sit and have a bowl of noodles for $10 and be very happy. I hope you get a chance to go to Anqi next time you visit South Coast Plaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment