Friday, November 1, 2013

Beauty Tips Through The Ages

I've always believed that true beauty is inner beauty, but in our society it's difficult to ignore what people look like. Most of us try hard to look youthful and as beautiful as possible. I've talked to several older people (80+) who I consider beautiful, and have gotten a variety of beauty tips from them. Certain tips keep getting repeated, so here they are, in no particular order. 1. Keep it simple with makeup. Less is more 2. Moisturize hands and feet. Use Vaseline and socks. 3. Take care of your neck. 4. Don't over tweeze. 5. Everyone needs blush. 6. Take one night a week to pamper yourself. 7. Moisturize right after shower. 8. Keep your hands off your face. Your hands have been everywhere and are full of germs. 9. STAY OUT OF THE SUN. In my mind, the most attractive beauties have always been the clean, wholesome looking women, with just a touch of makeup. That goes for any age. Well moisturized skin will keep it looking young and fresh, up to a point. Then there's not too much you can do about it. Genetics play a big part in youthful looking skin. I look at my own skin, especially on my forearms and hands, and realize that I could moisture forever and my skin would still be thin, splotched and bruise easily. I've got the same skin my Dad had, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. Staying out of the sun is by far the most important beauty tip around. If you must be in the sun, wear sunscreen and a hat. Since my MOHS surgery last year I have slathered myself with sunscreen before walking, boogie boarding or golf. It helps a lot. Although I only have boys, I still tried to teach them to look for the inner beauty in everyone. The beautiful cheerleader may not possess the qualities and characteristics you're looking for. The handsome football player may be a real jerk. I tried to teach my children to get to know the person before judging him. Yes, first impressions are important, but since most of us are not great beauties, that first impression is based on things other than looks. Once you get to know someone and like them, their looks are irrelevant. You like them for who they are and how you feel when you're around them. The phrase "Beauty is only skin deep" is true. Beauty will fade, but people with qualities that are important to you, will show you those qualities, regardless of what the outside package looks like. It's important to keep yourself looking good at any age, and following some of these beauty tips should help, but I try to never lose sight of the fact that it's what inside that really counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment