Monday, November 18, 2013

Cranberry Relish: What Kind Is Best?

If you're family is anything like mine, everyone has their personal preference for Thanksgiving side dishes, especially stuffing and cranberry sauce. Ron likes the canned jellied sauce with no berries, David likes the canned sauce with berries, and I like the cranberry relish from Trader Joe's. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it, and it keeps in the refrigerator for several weeks. I'm in charge of the cranberries for our dinner this year, so I will bring several different kinds. I've been experimenting at home, trying to produce a cranberry orange relish close to the Trader Joe's product. It's easy, so take a look at the following recipe. I am also trying to reduce the amount of sugar to make it both delicious and low calorie. I am cutting the sugar in half and using Splenda to cut the sugar calories in half. I'm not sure that using 100% artificial sweetener will taste right. I haven't tried it yet. Here's the main recipe. If you're counting calories as I am, try to reduce the sugar and add Splenda or Equal. Let me know how you like it. Cranberry Orange Relish FRESH CRANBERRY ORANGE RELISH 1 12 oz pkg fresh cranberries 1 orange Put washed, drained cranberries in a food processor with 1 orange which has been peeled and quartered with all seeds being removed. Pulse for a few seconds, just until coarsely chopped. If oranges aren't chopped evenly, finish chopping by hand. Add 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar and taste adjusting sweetness as desired. Stir well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Cranberry Orange Relish may be frozen for up to 2 months. Makes about 2 1/2 cups. I've been experimenting by reducing the sugar to 1/2 cup and adding Splenda. \

No comments:

Post a Comment