Friday, October 23, 2015

Is Flax Seed Good For Everyone?

I started adding flax seed to my food a few months ago.  I decided to do this because it is an excellent source of alpha-linolenic acid, which the body converts to essential omega-3 fatty acids.  Additionally, it reduces blood triglyceride levels, blood pressure, blood clot formation and inflammatory response.  It may also protect against certain cancers, and provides protein, potassium and fiber.  Could something that does all this actually be bad for you?

It could be.  Flax seed has many laxative properties.  It could lead to abdominal discomfort, an increased number of bowel movements and diarrhea.  People with IBS diverticulitis and Crohn's disease or colitis, should not consume flax seed.  It may also cause obstruction of the esophagus, intestines or bowel.  (If taken in large doses or without enough liquid).  Finally, omega-3 fatty acids can increase blood sugar levels, so people with diabetes should be cautious about consuming flax seed, according to the NIH.

If you decide to add it to your diet, start slowly, like 1 tablespoon per day.  Sprinkle it on yogurt, cereal or salads, or add it to smoothies.  Slowly increase the amount of flax seed consumed, with a maximum of 3 tablespoons per day.  That is the recommended dosage of the NIH.  As with almost everything else, moderation is the key.  Don't overdo it.  I find it a wonderful addition to hot cereal and yogurt.  I like the texture in my food, so I'm happy to add it to my diet.  I will talk next week about another addition I have made to my diet, chia seeds, and then I will give you a wonderful recipe for a delicious, nutritious hot cereal I have concocted.

No comments:

Post a Comment