Monday, January 18, 2016

Revisiting Beach Grass Cafe

I hadn't been to Beach Grass Café in years, probably since we left Del Mar nine years ago.  It was off my list of restaurants, as I thought the prices were high and the food was just ordinary.  They were also serving dinner at that time, which was not going well.

Fast forward nine years.  Fran suggested we go to Beach Grass Café for breakfast one morning in conjunction with our Saturday morning walk.  She had a taste for their lemon ricotta and blueberry pancakes.  That sounded good to me, so we walked there from her house and had a fabulous breakfast.  I felt I had to write about the restaurant because the breakfast was so good, the menu so varied, with lots of healthy choices, that I was sorry I had been missing out for the past nine year.  As I said, we went for the lemon ricotta and blueberry pancakes.  I was not disappointed.  They offer either a full order (two large pancakes) or a half order (one large pancake).  The pancake was light and fluffy, filled with blueberries, with just a hint of lemon.  It was delicious.  In addition to these pancakes, they also offer buttermilk, blue corn with banana, gluten free, upside down pineapple, maple, bacon and cheddar, and oatmeal with roasted pears and marshmallow cream pancakes.  There are lots of scrambles on the menu, and lots of hash, like turkey, veggie  andchorizo hash.  Four different variations on eggs benedict, eggs any way you want them, and omelettes.  How about an order of lox and cream cheese with bagels, onions, tomatoes and capers for $9.95?  Since there are no delicatessens in our area, I may try this next time.

Breakfast is served all day, and the lunch menu sounds appealing to me as well.  She crab soup, which I remember was one of their specialties years ago and was delicious, is still on the menu, along with several other hearty soups.  Several salads (eight in all), tacos and burritos, wraps, sandwiches and burgers round out the menu.  French fries are hand cut and looked delicious.

I look forward to eating again soon at Beach Grass Café.  Prices are reasonable, portions are large, and the coffee is great.  Give it a try.  It's at 159 South Coast Highway 101 in Solana Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment