Friday, January 8, 2016

We've All Got Our Problems

I think of the man without any shoes who felt sorry for himself until he heard about the man with no legs.  We all have a tendency to focus on ourselves, our problems, our illnesses, our family.  We plan for the future, then out of nowhere, an illness or a death that we weren't expecting, comes along.  How do we deal with it?  It's so individual, and there is no right way to deal with unexpected disaster.  "Why me?" is one approach.  That doesn't work for me.  There is no answer to the question "Why me,"  so I'd rather take the approach that this is the hand I've been dealt, and I'll play it the best I can.  (bridge analogy, for my bridge friends.)

When you are dealt a blow in life, be it financial or medical (I've been dealt both), you pick yourself up and dust yourself off.  It's just as easy to feel positive about the future as to be negative.  I truly believe that a positive attitude helps lead to a positive outcome.  No, a positive attitude will not cure cancer, but it can make each day more enjoyable.  When you are faced with a devastating prognosis or financial ruin, all you can do is enjoy each day to its fullest.  None of us really know how long we will be here, so this attitude applies to everyone, regardless of how long they think they'll be around.

Back to the analysis on playing the hand you've been dealt.  All you can do is work with what you've got, and squeeze every bit of life out each day.  Take that hand you've been dealt, and go for all the overtricks you can.  We've all got problems.  Yours may seem overwhelming, but look around.  You probably wouldn't want to change your problems for someone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment