Monday, July 25, 2016

Creamsicle Pudding Cake

Ron was in a cooking mood a few days ago, so I bought the ingredients for a recipe I saw in the paper that I thought he would like.  It's a pudding cake;  pudding on the bottom, moist cake on the top.  It was a recipe by Sara Moulton, one of my favorite chefs.  She used to have a show on PBS in the days when cooking shows actually taught you HOW to cook.  Every recipe would teach you a technique.  Sara was wonderful.  She was also the food editor for Gourmet magazine for many years.  I hadn't seen her in years, but when I saw this recipe, I had to try it.  Ron, my dessert maker, was originally going to make the cake, but something kept coming up that prevented him from doing so.  So, one night I just made it.  We loved it, and I think you will too.

                                        Creamsicle Pudding Cake

4 T. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 c. fresh orange juice plus 2 T. finely grated orange zest
1/4c. water
1/2c. cream ( I used half and half)
1T. fresh lemon juice
Scraped seed from 1 1/2 vanilla beans or 1 1/2 T. vanilla bean paste(I just used vanilla extract
1 c. all purpose flour

1/2 c. sugar (I would use a little more next time).
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
vanilla ice cream, for serving

  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease 8 inch square baking dish with a little melted butter.  (I sprayed it with Pam).  Combine orange juice and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, whisk orange zest, cream, melted butter, lemon juice and vanilla bean in a small bowl.  Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Add the orange zest mixture and stir until batter is just incorporated.  It will be very thick.  Transfer to baking dish and spread evenly with a spatula.  Pour boiling liquid over the top of the batter.  Bake for 27-35 minutes, until cake has a crisp, golden surface and the pudding sauce on the bottom is bubbling.

Spoon warm pudding cake into each dish.  Top each portion with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Eat and enjoy.  Be sure to let the pudding cake cool for about 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment