Monday, July 11, 2016

Things I Wish I'd Know When I Was Younger

I feel that the older I get, the more I realize how much I don't know.  Yet, with my kids, it's just the opposite.  When I was younger and the kids were very young, they thought us grownups knew nothing.  Now, they are constantly saying things to me like, "How did you know that?"  They think I'm smart!  Seriously though, there are so many things that I realize now that I didn't give any thought to years ago.  It's not that I know more facts, more information, just know more about what's really important.  Here are a few  things that I realize now are important.

1.  Spend time with people you love.  I no longer spend time with people I don't even like.  Life is too short.
2.  Don't complain.  It's a waste of time and no one wants to hear it.
3.  Exercise daily.  This doesn't necessarily mean a killer workout at the gym, but just a 20 minute walk in your neighborhood.  Do something.  This is something you can control, so take charge and move.
4.  Take more risks.  No, I'm not talking about bungee jumping or rock climbing, but small risks.  Maybe go after a new job, try to land a client you didn't think you could get, make friends with someone you new.
5.  Learn every day.  This is something I figured out about 15 years ago, and is my favorite motto to live by.  Not only does it keep you mentally alert, but it makes you interesting, it opens you up to new ideas.
6.  Don't worry about what people think.  Do what you think is right without worrying about other people's judgements.  Why  do we even care what others think?
7.  Be nice.  It doesn't cost any more to be nice than not to be.  The old saying, "You catch more bees with honey,"  is so true.  Have you ever tried to be really nice to someone that doesn't like you?  They don't know how to handle it.
8.  Don't judge.  This is so difficult not to do, but so important to keep from doing.
9.  Don't take yourself too seriously.  Lighten up a little
10.  Think about others.  Be mindful of what's going on in the lives of others, and consider that in the way you treat them.  If you're angry at the poor service a waitress is giving you, realize she may have sick kids at home and her mind may be elsewhere.  It's not all about you.

  Life is a journey.  We don't know how long it's going to last.  To enjoy life to it's fullest we need appreciate what we've got and strive to make it a healthy, happy and useful life.  I've found that some of these 10 statements keep me happy, healthy and wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment