Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Great Mediterranean Food In An Unlikely Place

Hidden inside the North Park Produce Market in Vista (a few blocks from Costco Vista), is a fabulous Persian restaurant.  It's called Aladdin Grill, and although it's not really a great dining experience, the food is great.  I went there with Audrey (a vegan) for lunch one day, and not only had a great lunch, but did some fun shopping.

I love shopping in ethnic markets.  The Asian and Korean markets have always been favorites of mine.  I love a great Italian market.  North Park Produce is a full supermarket, with a strong emphasis on foods from the Middle East.  Imports from Iran, Turkey, Israel, Poland and Scandinavia are common.  I had to refrain from buying spices and pickled vegetables and breads of all sorts.  I only bought a few persimmons, delicious baklava (5 kinds to choose from) and some herring fillets from Scandinavia.  The array of prepared foods is impressive.  You won't be able to refrain from buying something!

Lunch was delicious.  I ordered the beef shwarma plate.  For $4.99 (special of the day) I got a huge plate of Persian rice (delicious) piled high with beef shawarma, and nice salad with lettuce and tomatoes, and some soft, warm, lavosh.  I could barely finish half, so I packed up the rest and took it home to Ron for dinner.  He loved it, and can't wait to go back for another meal.  Audrey ordered the falafel wrap, again, more than one person could eat.  Lots of shish kebob, chicken and beef, cooked over an open fire.  They looked great.  Lots of bread of all kinds.  The most interesting one was a big ball of dough cooked over an open fire that puffed up.  I could hardly resist it, but it was so big I didn't know what I would do with it all.  Hummus, babaganoush and other Persian salads were also on the menu.  If you're in the area around lunch or dinner time, stop by North Park Produce, and eat at Aladdin Grill.  You will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment