Monday, May 20, 2019

Always Changing

I had my first partial knee replacement almost 5 years ago.  I was 69 years old, in excellent physical shape, and was back at the gym in 12 days.  5 years later I underwent a total knee replacement (other knee), was not in great physical shape, and am suffering the consequences.  Right now I am 18 days post surgery, and still having a difficult time.

Yes, I realize that 5 years makes a big difference, but I feel the physical shape I was in for my first knee replacement had a great deal to do with my quick recovery.  I had been taking spin classes for several years, three times a week, prior to surgery.  Now, most of activity is walking.  Walking is good, but it doesn't build the muscles around the knee as spinning does.  I will be patient, knowing that within a few weeks I will be feeling better.  It's hard to wait.

Hospital procedures are always changing, and I noticed a big difference in the way things are done now, and the way they were done 5 years ago.  What hasn't changed, is the days in the hospital.  It's usually one night, sometimes two nights, and if Medicare requires, three nights.  A friend of mine had her surgery done at Kaiser and she had surgery and came home in the same day.  That's quick, I think.

Even prior to arrival I was swabbed for Mersa.  This is a change from five years ago.  In addition to special soap for washing that was used five years ago and is still used, an added level of cleanliness is added.  Right before surgery, my entire body was swabbed with antibacterial towels.

I was surprised when I went to skilled nursing after one night in the hospital that the  first thing they did was give me a TB test.  They wanted to make sure I didn't pick up anything in my 24 hours in the hospital.

Because of high rates of infection in hospitals and skilled nursing facilities, cleanliness is at the top of their priority list.  I still can't figure out with all the anti bacterial procedures they use that infection would be a problem, but it is.  The best thing to do, is to avoid the hospital.  It's a catch 22.  They want to get you in and out of the hospital as quickly as possible, often risking other complications because of the short hospital stay.

Stay in shape.  It's your best chance for a quick recovery.  I am paying the price now, with a slower recovery.  I know in a few weeks I will be feeling better, but for now, most of my time is spent resting and sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment