Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Welcome To The Neighborhood, Richard Walker

Finally, we're getting some good breakfast places in the Carlsbad/Oceanside area.  First Toast, and now Richard Walker.  The new Square at Bressi Ranch is now home to the sixth Richard Walker's Original Pancake House.  Here's how this family owned business began.

In 1948, Victor and Everett (brothers) Walker opened snack shops in Evanston, Illinois.  In 1960 they opened Walker Brothers Original Pancakes in Wilmette.  In 1981 Ray and Richard, sons of Victor, opened Walker Brothers Original in Glenview.  Finally, in 2006, Richard Senior relocated to San Diego and opened another location in Downtown San Diego.  I guess Richard Junior decided life in San Diego sounded good, so he moved to the west coast too, and opened two more restaurants (same name) in La Jolla and Carlsbad.

Ron and I stopped by for a late breakfast on a Thursday morning, thinking the big crowd would be gone.  We waited about 10 minutes for a table, so expect a wait, no matter when you go there.  The food is delicious.  Their specialty is pancakes and waffles, but everything is big, good, and beautifully presented.  Spinach crepes, blueberry and sour cream crepes and cherry crepes looked delicious.  We split the apple pancake, and still couldn't finish.  They also have the German pancake and a cinnamon pancake.  Belgian waffles are light and fluffy, and topped with fruit and whipped cream.  Omelettes are huge, bacon is thick and crisp.  They serve corned beef hash and eggs benedict too.  My only criticism is the coffee.

Richard Walker serves Boyds coffee, which they say is excellent, dark and smooth.  At best it was average, and at $3.50 a cup, I thought it was way too pricey.  I can accept higher prices for the food, but not for a less than good cup of coffee.  I guess I'm a coffee snob.  I've said this before.  I usually ask the wait person how the coffee is before I order.  I tell them that if it's not good, I'm going to send it back.  I didn't do that this time, so I drank the coffee.  Next time I go I will not order a drink, and if I really want coffee I will bring it from Peet's just a few doors away.  I don't know how they'll like that, but really, how hard is it to make a good cup of coffee, especially at $3.50 per cup?

Richard Walker is a wonderful restaurant.  The food is outstanding, and most things are big enough to split.  They even have a children's menu (grandchildren?), which consists of chocolate chip pancakes, silver dollar pancakes, and and egg and pancake dish.  Try it, you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment