Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Poke Chop Will Be Your New Favorite For Poke

If you know me at all, you know sushi is one of my favorite meals to dine out on.  I just love it, so when the poke craze hit California several years ago, I was excited.  At first there were very few places to get good poke, but today it is such a hit that you find it in almost every shopping center.

Melanie is one of my friends who also loves poke.  Between the two of us we have probably tried a dozen or so different restaurants.  Most are pretty good, but she introduced me to one that really stands out.  

Poke Chop began in 2016 in Pacific, and expanded over the next few years to include to locations in Hillcrest.  Now, they have come to North County.  They are in Encinitas, right off the 5 freeway, near The Crack Shack.  Melanie and I met there for lunch in November, and I couldn't stop raving about the food.

How can you rave about rice, raw fish and a few toppings?  Well, if you like poke, try it and you will see why I am raving.  The fish is as fresh as can be.  The tuna is a beautiful red, with no streaks of gristle in it which you often find in places that don't purchase the best fish.  The vegetables are so fresh.  They all have a great crunch.  The edemame are bright green and crisp.  The sauces, mild, spicy, sweet, savory are also delicious.

You can build your own bowl or sushi burrito, or order one of the dozen or so combinations they have listed on the menu, all a different variety of fish, veggies and sauce, with names like The Chopper, Lucky Charm, and Dyno-Sea Bomb.

Small (2 scoops of fish, and plenty for me), or if you're really hungry medium (3scoops), and if you want enough for dinner and probably lunch the next day, order a large (5 scoops).  The Encinitas location has a nice outdoor patio which is sunny at lunchtime, so you won't be cold.

If you're crazy for poke, please try Poke Chop.  You'll be happy you did.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment