Wednesday, March 10, 2021

I've Been Vaccinated. What Now?

 We've all been anxiously awaiting our turn to get vaccinated.  There was  so much anxiety associated with actually getting the appointment that getting the shot was sort of anti climatic.  Most of us in 1B who chose to get vaccinated (I hope that was everyone) have been, and they're either waiting the two weeks to be fully protected or have already passed the two week mark, as I have.

So how will things change for us?  If you listen to the scientists, which I do, not much.  Still wear your mask, keep your distance, wash your hands, and don't go to large gatherings.  So you might be wondering as I did, what's the big deal about getting vaccinated?  The big deal is that if you do come in contact with someone who has Covid-19, at a market or store or wherever you go, you are 95% protected, and if you do happen to contract Covid-19, which is very unlikely, your case will be light and likely not end in hospitalization or death.  

We're all hoping for herd immunity soon, but that is not likely.  It will take months, so what should we, who have been vaccinated do for fun in the mean time?  I've determined that the experts don't advise us what to do, because they really don't know what's safe and what is not.  

I am using my own common sense to continue with best health practices, and to add a few activities to my life.  I have determined that for me, outdoor dining is safe.  I am not yet ready to step inside for dining, but outdoors seems fine to me.  I have also decided that inviting a few (3-4) friends to my home for dinner is safe.  I would only invite friends who have vaccinated and have waited two weeks.  I am also going to play bridge, again, with four vaccinated people in my kitchen with the door open. I plan to go to a mall soon, enter stores and look around.

Of course golf and pickleball continue to feel safe to me.  All these are activities feel safe to me, but since no one is really guiding us, each of us needs to decide what is safe for us.  Oh, and at the end of March I am flying to Denver to visit my two boys who live there, their wives and three beautiful grandchildren.  Can't wait.  I hope you all feel safe enough to get out and do something fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment