Monday, March 8, 2021

The Gloss of Fruits and Vegetables


 I mentioned that I have started listening to a podcast called "Food Talk" which I enjoy so much, and from which I learn so much!  I recently listened to this podcast, where they interviewed Sunny Parr, director of the Kroeger Foundation, which has some lofty goals, which I will discuss at another time.  One thing mentioned in the interview with Sunny Parr  was the use of coating on produce.  When I heard that, I went right to the computer to find out more about "Coating on Produce."

I have noticed for quite a while the glossy look of most fruits and veggies in the supermarket.  Some look picture perfect, almost fake.  What is sprayed on 21 fruits and vegetables just after picking  is a lac resin based wax.  It is declared safe by the FDA.  It's purpose is to prevent water loss and retard shrinkage and spoilage and most importantly, improve appearance.  21 fruits and vegetables are currently sprayed with the wax coating, including apples, bell peppers, avocadoes, cantelopes, cucumbers, tomatoes, and eggplants.

Next time you go to the supermarket, notice how the fruits and veggies shine.  It's not natural.  It's done to make their appearance more appealing, and to make you more likely to buy.  This was just one of the interesting facts that I learned listening to Food Talk.  Such an interesting podcast.

One more thing.  Organic fruits and vegetables are not waxed, nor is most produce from local farmers' markets.  If you don't like the wax coating, buying organic should solve the problelm.  If you buy non organic produce and want to remove the wax coating, rinse produce in luke warm water, or a water/vinegar mixture and dry with a paper towel to remove most wax.  

No comments:

Post a Comment