Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Are Free Refills a Thing of the Past?


Remember the days when there was no such thing as free refills? If you wanted another coke you paid for it. Well, free refills have been the norm for the past 30 years, but things may be changing. I was out for dinner last night and when the bill came, we had been charged for two drinks each, as we all had our coke or iced tea refilled. I was shocked. I looked on the menu to see if there was any mention of a charge for refills and there was none.


The most profitable item on any restaurant menu is soda fountain drinks, iced tea and coffee. The literature says the profit is 110% but I think it is much higher. Charging for each drink is the easiest way for restaurants to increase profits. A soda cost pennies a glass, and they charge $2.50 for it. It's up to the customer to complain. From now on I plan to ask the waitress if they offer free refills before I order my beverage. If they don't, I will just drink water. Will they soon be charging for extra bread and refills on coffee? I really do understand the restaurants problem, but to conceal the fact until the bill comes is just deceitful, in my opinion. This is the age of full disclosure and restaurants need to be up front about what things really cost. If two people go to dinner and each drink two iced teas, the charge for the drinks alone could be $10 or more!


So keep your eyes open. Free refills may not be here forever. Always ask before ordering your drink if they give free refills or not. The only way restaurants will change is by customer pressure. If no one orders iced tea anymore because they don't get a free refill, the restaurant will change it's ways. Difficult times mean businesses will try anything to make a profit. I understand this. It also means that we, the consumer need to be on top of everything so we know exactly what we are getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment