Friday, September 11, 2009

Rocky Mountain High

I arrived in Colorado yesterday, anxious to see my first grandchild, 10 day old Lennon. It was everything I expected and more. I was told by grandma experts that the feelings you have for a grandchild, even before you hold him, are inexplicible. They were right. Our beautiful, innocent little bundle of joy is so precious. So I'm here to enjoy him, and my wonderful son and daughter in law, and of course the dogs, for a few wonderful days.

Little did I know that I was also going to be treated to some of the best food, morning, noon and night that you could possibly imagine. My son Philip is a gourmet cook, but I couldn't imagine that with changing diapers, doing laundry and housework, helping Deborah with all the baby duties as much as he could, and tending to his business, that he would have time to feed us like we were at the Four Seasons. I underestimated him.

Phil has a garden that not only feeds his family, but many other friends and neighbors. He has an abundance of squash, tomatoes, peas, beans, collard greens, cabbage and garlic. I arrived yesterday and lunched on the most amazing vegetable soup.You're probably saying, how amazing can vegetable soup be, but this is truly delicious. Below is the recipe.

Garden Vegetable Soup a la Phil

render the fat from 1/4 lb.bacon, save the crispy bacon to add back later, use the fat plus some olive oil to sweat the veggies. Use whatever you have. Phil used zucchini, corn, peas, onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Add herbs, whatever you have. Phil used basil, parsley, rosemary and thyme. Add some wine, red or white, to deglaze the pan, then add stewed tomatoes, dried pasta and chicken stock and simmer until veggies are done. This soup is absolutely delicious as a main meal with a salad and bread, or as a side dish with a sandwich for lunch. The soup becomes very thick when it is refrigerated. You may need to add a little water when reheating. I have not given amounts on anything. This is the kind of soup you can add anything you want to, in any amounts. It will be different each time you make the soup, but always delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment