Friday, March 1, 2013

Famous Aphorisms

Ron was flicking through the channels a few weeks ago, when he came across the show "Pawn Stars." He loves that show for its interesting items, the history of said items, and the humor, and aphorisms of the old man. The father sits at his desk in the pawn shop, and comments on life. Some of his aphorisms are pretty good. Here are a few aphorisms by some more famous people that I particularly like. In case you don't know what an aphorism is, it's "a pithy observation that contains a general truth." "If you don't control your mind, someone else will." John Allston "I hear and I forget. I see and I believe. I do and I understand." Confcius "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." James Dean "Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us." Justice William O. Douglas "Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die." "The important thing is to not stop questioning." Albert Einstein "Any fool can criticise, condemn, and complain, and most fools do." Ben Franklin "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." Martin Luther King Jr. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire "It's better to be looked over than to be overlooked." Mae West "No race can prosper till it learns that there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem." Booker T. Washington Hope these aphorisms give you something to think about today. You probably have your own favorites, maybe even some of your own. Do you have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment