Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Tiki Tasting

I recently went to a tiki tasting at Native Foods Café in Encinitas.  This is a vegan café, but don't stop reading this just because you saw the word "vegan."  With dozens of locations in California, Oregon, Colorado, Chicago and Washington D.C., someone must like the food.  I certainly did.  Not that I'm ready to convert, but the recipes made by Susan, one of Native Foods executive chefs was delicious, no matter what you call it.

I invited two of my health conscious and adventurous friends to join me.  Audrie (friend from the Y) and Charlene (friend from the dog park) enjoyed it just as much as I did, and we all plan to go again when they have another tasting in about 6 weeks.

Besides enjoying the food, I like the mission of the company, and how they are giving back to the community in a big way.  They have several charities to which they contribute both time and money.  All charities that they support either work for the ethical treatment of animals or environmental protection.  They support The Elephant Sanctuary and the Farm Sanctuary.  Check out their website and blog for more information on vegans, recipes, and organizations that support the ethical treatment of animals and environmental protection.

Native Foods has published a cookbook called "In Celebration Cookbook," which is in celebration of their 20 years in business.  The recipes are delicious "as is,"  or chicken, fish or beef can be added to stir fry dishes.

Go to the Native Foods website and get on their mailing list.  You will receive e-mails announcing specials and food tastings.  You'll enjoy the food tastings and will learn something new.  At the last tasting I learned about an ingredient called "seitan" which originated in Japan.  I had never heard of it before.  I learned that seitan is a protein substitute, and is made from wheat or spelt.  It's a great alternative for those that cannot tolerate soy. I also learned that a cup of pineapple provides 100% of the RDA of Vitamin C.  Hope to see you at the next tasting  and cooking demo.

No comments:

Post a Comment