Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Swedish Style Mustard Dill Sauce

One of my favorite summertime meals is poached salmon. I typically serve it with a cucumber salad, dressed with some sour cream and dill. It's so light, healthy and delicious. When I lived in Los Angeles, in the days when I entertained a lot, poached salmon was one of my favorite meals to serve to guests. We had a wonderful fish market in Brentwood called Phil's. It was there until around 1990, when it closed because of renovation to the strip mall in which it was housed. I would order a large poached salmon for a dinner party, and Phil's would prepare it, serve it on a wooden plank, and decorate it with dill and other greens, for a very reasonable price. The main course of my dinner would be taken care of! Dill sauce would be served with the salmon, and I have never been able to find the dill sauce that Phil's sold. I have given you here a very good dill sauce, not as smooth as one I remember, but great on salmon and all things Swedish. A great summer idea is to get a big wooden plank, and fill it with pickled herring, shrimp, cold potato salad, cucumber salad in vinegar and dill, and rye bread. Serve the dill sauce below on the side, and you'll really impress your guests. I hope you enjoy this dill sauce as much as I enjoyed writing and remembering the old days in Los Angeles. Swedish Style Mustard Dill Sauce•INGREDIENTS¼ cup whole grain mustard¼ cup Dijon mustard¼ cup white vinegar¼ cup chopped dill2 tablespoons vegetable oil1½ tablespoons sugar1½ tablespoons dry mustard powder.  Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
























No comments:

Post a Comment