Friday, November 28, 2014

What Are Holidays All About?

I'm writing this the night before Thanksgiving, the unofficial start of the holiday season that will last through the new year.  I think a lot about what I am thankful for, and what holidays are all about.  First, we will not celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow.  Instead, we will all be together on Friday at my house.  My mom, David and family, and Brian and his family will drive from LA to San Diego to be with us.  Phil is in Colorado and we will miss he and his family.  We celebrate on Friday so that our kids can celebrate with both sides of the family.  Thursday they will be with one group of relatives, and Friday they'll all come here.  We started doing this a number of years ago, and it has worked out well.  Those that have to drive save a lot of time and energy trying to get to Thanksgiving in holiday traffic.

I have so much to be thankful for.  Good health, a wonderful, loving and supportive family, a new grandson, a new house, and wonderful friends.  I think about this as we over indulge at the dinner table for the next six weeks, and over spend at the department stores during this time too.  For me, the holidays are a time to reflect, and a time to show appreciation to those I love.  This appreciation does not have to be shown in the form of expensive gifts, but it seems that more and more, that is how we show our love and appreciation. I try hard not to get caught in the spending frenzy that affects so many.  I have just about completed my holiday shopping, and almost every gift is small but thoughtful, a token you might say.  More important (I hope to the recipient) is the heartfelt card I will write to accompany each gift.  After all, who among us really "need" more?  Kids of course always want a new toy, and to me, kids are what the holidays are all about.

I had been trying to get to Costco for the past few days to pick up a prescription, but could never get into the parking lot.  Today I went when they opened.  It was still mobbed, but I did get a parking space.  I could not believe the volume of toys and food that people were buying.  I've never seen anything like it.  If this a preview of what's to come, the retailers are going to have a very merry Christmas this year.  But, they'll have it without me.  I've already done my shopping, and they won't get rich off what I spent on gifts this year.  While everyone is out racking up debt on Black Friday and beyond, I'll be sitting at Starbucks reading a book, or taking a walk on the beach.  To me, holidays are about spending time with those you love, telling them how you feel about them, and showing them with a small, thoughtful gift.  Your children's love for you is not based on how much you buy for them.  Children from very poor countries love their parents deeply, gifts or no gifts.  Americans have a need to keep up with their neighbors and don't want their kids to feel they have less than the boy next door.  So parents rack up debt to make sure their kids don't feel left out.  Is this what the holidays are all about?  Not for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment