Friday, June 19, 2015

Have You Tried A Cruffin?

A few years ago it was the cronut, a New York invention of a combination of donut and croissant.  Now, from San Francisco, we have the cruffin, flaky layers of sticky-sweet goodness, a sort of combination of a croissant and a muffin.  There are lines out the door, and Mr. Holmes, the owner, is already looking for new locations, possibly LA.

I have not tried it, but from visitors to the Holmes Bakehouse in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco, I hear it's a big winner.  A croissant-muffin hybrid rolled and filled with everything from coffee crème to passion fruit curd, so popular that they are usually gone within an hour of opening.  Customers line up down the block, hoping to get one of the famous cruffins before they're gone.  I can't wait to try them, either on my next trip to the Bay Area, or when then eventually open in San Diego, which from what I've heard, could happen soon.  Their slogan is "Get Baked," and I will definitely do so when I get the chance.

I did hear recently that an ex employee had stolen the sacred recipe, so there may be some copycats out there soon.  At $5 each they're on the pricey side, but from what I've been told, worth it.  Anyone had one?

No comments:

Post a Comment