Monday, June 1, 2015

A Hearty Breakfast Cereal

The trend in cereal today is gluten free, fat free, sugar free.  Many cereals now contain grains we don't often associate with cereal, like quinoa.  Flax seed and chia seeds that are now being added to crackers, cookies and cereals.  Instead of searching for a store bought mixture of grains and seeds that is both delicious and nutritious, I make my own.  I don't follow an exact recipe, just a little of this and a little of that.  I cook it all up once a week, then put it in a plastic container and reheat it when I'm ready for breakfast.  It is hearty, healthy and can be altered in many ways.  You'll also save a lot of money over store bought packaged cereal.  I buy all ingredients in bulk.  Here's my basic recipe and how I  vary it.

                                                     Susie's Hearty Hot Cereal

1/2 cup long cooking oats
1/2 cup quinoa (I use the white quinoa)
3 Tablespoons flax seed
3 Tablespoons chia seeds
1 1/2 cup water

Cook all ingredients  together.  You may want to start with a little less water and add as needed.  Chia seeds expand, as does quinoa, so it gets very thick.  Cook until quinoa pops, about 20 minutes.  Transfer to a plastic container, and use throughout the week for breakfast.  Here are some of the add ins you might consider

blueberries
bananas
dried cranberries
strawberries
any chopped nuts
shredded coconut


                                                   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment