Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Restaurant Closures In San Diego

One of my favorite restaurants in Hillcrest is closing.  It's Brooklyn Girl.  I'm sorry to see it go, but competition is keen.  Also closing in North Park is Urban Solace, another long time favorite.  Further north, Rimels in Cardiff by the Sea is closing.  Their other restaurant in Del Mar closed last year.  I thought The Flying Pig Pub in Vista was a night time hotspot, but it too is closing.  The reason given was that it's location cannot support the price of the restaurant, and people in Vista are looking for more casual, quicker dining experiences.

Urge Gastropub in Oceanside is also closing it's doors.  We loved this place, eating outside close to the beach was very pleasant.  However, eating indoors was noisy beyond belief.  They have a larger location in San Marcos, which is always packed.  Urge is expanding in other areas, as they are getting ready to open in Riverside, and will open in Temecula in 2020.  Finally, I almost forgot about Brian Malarky's Searsucker in Del Mar, which has closed.  He does have another restaurant opening soon in the area, though.

One opening I want to mention.  Prager Brothers bakery is opening on Coast Highway in Encinitas.  It is right next door to NaPizza.  Those in the area will love this culinary addition.  Great bread, pastries and sandwiches make this great for a quick meal, or to load up on stuff to take home.  I go to their Carlsbad location all the time.  I love their bread and flatbreads.  Croissants are buttery, flaky and delicious.  That will be a new place for Fran and I to stop after our Saturday morning walk.

Also opening in Del Mar is One Paseo, the new shopping center on Del Mar  Heights Road.  Lots of great eating opportunities here, and small boutique shops, which I hope can survive.

Things are always changing on the food scene, so I just wanted to keep you up to date.  Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment