Friday, November 1, 2019

What is Marmite?

I had never heard of Marmite until I ran across it as I was reading something, can't remember what.  I found the name strange, and I had to find out what it was.  Little did I know that it's a staple in most British homes, and is very popular in Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

What is it you ask and what does it taste like?  It is a yellowish brown paste like substance, the remains of yeast used in beer brewing, that is mixed with a variety of other flavors, to produce a strong, salty spread, that is eaten mostly on toast.  Most people say it's an acquired taste.  I think that's another way of saying you won't like it on your first try.

Marmite was invented by a German,  Justus von Liebig,  in 1902, but is a product found mainly in the U.K.   It is so popular that on the 100th anniversary of the product, Guinness Marmite  produced 300,000 jars of Guinness flavored Marmite, followed by Champagne Marmite.

Marmite, produced by Unilever and a few other food companies, has been banned in Denmark because of the number of added vitamins and minerals it contains.  It has also been banned in Canada for containing illegal additives.  (who knows what they are).

Marmite can be found in the U.S. in British food stores and possibly some specialty stores, like Bristol Farms.  After reading what those tasting it for the first time had to say, I am not that anxious to try it.  I'll stick to Nutella!

No comments:

Post a Comment