Monday, April 12, 2021

An Evening At Carmine's

 A few weeks ago, when life was beginning to return to normal, I was in LA for the weekend.  My mom loves to get out, especially to eat a fine restaurant.  I was thinking and thinking of where we could go that would be safe, outside and warm.  I remembered Carmine's an Italian restaurant and bar on Santa Monica Blvd in West Los Angeles, that Ron and I used to frequent years ago, (pre 2003) when we lived in the area.

I knew they had taken the parking lot and turned it into a beautiful outdoor dining area.  I made a reservation for a Saturday night, and we had a wonderful evening.  Mikey, the host and waiter who took care of us, was outstanding.  He was friendly and helpful, and made us feel so comfortable.  The outside space is welcoming.  It almost feels like you are eating in someone's backyard.  They built a wood platform, wooden walls all around, and the top is open.  Twinkling lights are strung across the top, and heaters are everywhere.  I hope they keep this space when things move inside and get back to the old normal.  I loved eating outside, as did my mother, who dressed in several layers in case it was cold, but was not needed.

The food was delicious, as it has always been.  We began with a small super thin cheese pizza and a glass of red wine, just to get things started.  We ordered a perfectly prepared eggplant parmigiana with a side of penne pasta and marinara, and  white fish served with pasta and vegetables.  What I liked so much about the eggplant was that it was not overcooked or oversauced.  It was just right.

Unfortunately we were too full to even think about dessert.  We will try something sweet on our next visit. 

If you are in LA, on the Westside, remember Carmine's.  It's good old fashioned Italian food, but modernized, with a wonderful homey feeling, and great people to help make your dining experience extraordinary.


No comments:

Post a Comment