Friday, April 2, 2021

Ending Back Pain The Spinezone Way

 My most recent orthopedic problem is the return of spinal stenosis, which I was diagnosed with many years ago.  I haven't had a problem in years, which I attribute in large part to a very active lifestyle, including daily gym workouts, spin classes, walking, yoga, and most recently pickleball.  While I was doing these activities regularly I never had a problem.  When we moved to Ocean Hills I actually became less active, partly because the Encinitas Y which I so dearly loved was too far away, and because Ron got sick and needed more help from me.  So over the last few years, I did less and less.  Last June I began to have terrible pain, so bad that over the next few months I had two steroid injections.  

The injections helped some, but I could see that that was not the answer.  I went to my family doctor in February, and he suggested 20 visits to Spinezone.  I had heard of Spinezone but did not know much about it.  Now that I am a patient there, I know what it's all about.

Spinezone was started in San Diego in 2005 by two orthopedic doctors, brothers Kian and Ramshad Raiszadeh.  Their goal as orthopedic surgeons was to start a company that would lead to LESS back surgery.  They created a personalized, non operative treatment regime that combines digital technology and onsite care.  Before beginning, the patient is evalulated for pain level, posture and core strength, aftyer which a program is created specifically for each patient.  

Recently Spinezone raised $12 million from new investors for expansion.  They have numerous locations in San Diego, but plan to expand into Orange and Los Angeles County.  They also intend to expand to other musculoskeletal conditions like hips and knees, all with the purpose of preventing surgery.  Sharp Hospital announced a $3.4 million cost savings for patients in back pain over a 2 year period.  Providence Hospital found a 35% improvement in back strength and 80% elimination of opoid use in patients in the Spinezone program.

Patients have to be willing to do the work, and I am doing my exercises twice a day, hoping that my results will relieve back pain.  I'm very optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment