Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Long Los Van Gogh Masterpiece "Discovered."

 I recently bought tickets to the Van Gogh Exhibit that is traveling the world right now.  I will see it in October, in Los Angeles.  When a recent New York Times article about a newly discovered Van Gogh masterpiece described it, I got very interested.

  Apparently, the well know art collector and luminary who founded the New York Academy of Art with Andy Warhol in 1979, Stuart Pivar, says he has rediscovered a long lost van Gogh masterpiece at an obscure country auction.  The painting, "Auvers, 1890," is in its original condition and signed on the back by "Vincent."  This was one of the paintings that van Gogh painted in the last two months of his life, when he painted obsessively, painting more than 70 works, in Auvers, outside of Paris.

The painting will be sent to the van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam for authentication.  If authenticated, it will be considered the find of the century.  It's an amazing painting that has never been touched, still on the original stretcher.  It is a 36 inch square painting, the largest painting ever done by van Gogh, and his only square painting.

Stuart Pivar said, "Although I am used to gaining possession of colossal things, when I uncrated this, I was lost for words, in absolute shock, to the point I felt electrical waves passing up and down my body."  I hope it is real.


No comments:

Post a Comment