Friday, December 31, 2021

Why Is This So Confusing?

 I can't imagine why understanding when to get a Covid-19 test and what kind of test to get should be so confusing, but to be quite honest, I am totally confused, and with the information and protocols changing almost daily, I feel I know less now than I did a year ago.  Am I the only one that feels this way?

First they said to isolate for 10 days if you had contact with someone who had Covid-19.  Now they say isolate for 5-7 days.  They make it sound like everyone should be testing all the time!  Take a test on consecutive days and get a negative result to make sure you are ok.

Viral test or PCR test?  A viral test will show current infection.  There are two types, the antigen test and the nucleic acid amplification tests.  (NAAT).  Use the rapid test (PCR) whether you have symptoms or not.  Take the test 5-7 days after exposure.  With all this information, who knows what to do?  Also, the rapid tests are not always accurate, so throw that problem into the equation.

My friend's granddaughters teacher came down with Covid.  My friend was with her granddaughter all day on Christmas day.  Her granddaughter has no symptoms.  Should my friend isolate or not?  I had lunch with a friend who tested positive about 5 days after I had lunch with her. (this was a while ago).  Was she contagious when I was with her?  She had mild symptoms and got tested.  Should I have isolated?  Tested?  I just don't know what's the right thing to do anymore.

My answer to all this is to lay low for the next month.  I will stay home as much as possible and always wear a mask in public.  I think January is going to be a bad month, so it's best just to stay away from people if you can.  I just ordered a box of N95 masks.  

A least people are being responsible.  I went to play pickleball with a group of 8 yesterday, and one woman who I did not know announced that she had been exposed to someone who had Covid, and she would leave if people felt uncomfortable.  You should have seen everyone take a big step away from her when she said that!  No one said anything, then I said that I felt uncomfortable, especially since I spend a lot of time with my 98 year old mother.  She understood and went home.  I think we all need to speak up more!  Ask if someone's vaccinated if you don't know them.  What's wrong with that?  It's your life, and let's protect ourselves and each other and get through this terrible mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment