Monday, January 3, 2022

2022 Here We Come

Yes, 2021 was a terrible year.  There's no denying that.  But, I try to look at the bright side and look forward to the future.  What happened this year to make me optimistic?  Well, first of all, we all got vaccinated and boosted, or should I say most of us who believe in science did so.  Medical science has also developed new ways of treating Covid-19, so if you do get sick (and are vaccinated) you have a very good chance of surviving.  Think about it.  We had none of this in 2020.

Other reasons to be optimistic?  Children went back to school.  This is huge.  People also went back to work, more restaurants stayed open, Broadway came back, so did concerts, professional sports and extracurricular activities for kids.  So, compared to 2020, 2021 was a pretty good year. 

Yes, so many people still died, so many did not follow the science and unfortunately for them, became statistics.  The last month of the year brought the Omicrom virus to our shores, and created new challenges for us all.  This too, shall pass, and we have to stay vigilant and do the right thing so that in a few months we can all feel safe to go out.

Travel came back in 2021, in the form of cruising, airplane trips and auto trips.  The economy came back, too.  Unemployment is low, the stock market is up, the economy is humming.  (yes, there's high inflation, but I'll talk about that later).

For me personally, it was a very good year in many ways.  I made several wonderful new friends in my community.  I had rotator cuff surgery, and after 5 months away, I was back playing pickleball.  I was able to travel to Colorado three times, to see my children and grandchildren.  That's so important to me.  Finally, I got to go on a Carribbean cruise with my mom and several friends.  It was a real highlight of the year.

Yes, 2021 was a difficult year for many, but if everyone would just get vaccinated we would get out of this mess sooner rather than later.  It will end, or we will find a way to live with it.  If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.  It's sad to think that over 200,000 people died unnecessarily in the last half of the year.  We live in a democracy where people have the right to make their own choice on whether to get vaccinated or not.  Making a choice that is not based on science put many in the hospital, on respirators, or worse.  Let's all do our part to make 2022 the year we return to a life without fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment