Friday, May 20, 2022

Sometimes Old Recipes Are The Best


 I was in the market recently and saw Japanese eggplant, a vegetable I probably haven't bought in at least 20 years.  I was reminded of a recipe I made with Japanese eggplant, so I bought one.  It was back in the 1990's in LA that I first discovered this recipe.  I used to make it all the time, and eat it as a snack.  I had a large garden in my yard in Brentwood, and I grew Japanese eggplant.  With an abundance of the vegetable, I used to make it all the time.  You're going to love it if you like Asian flavors.  Here it is.

                                                           Japanese Eggplant Appetizer, Asian Style

1 1/2 lb  Japanese eggplant

1 T. oil (I omitted it)

1 T. minced garlic (I used two large cloves)

1T. fresh ginger (I used about 2 T.)

3 T. soy sauce

2 T. red wine vinegar

2 tsp sugar (I used Stevia)

1 T. sesame oil

1 tsp chili paste (optional, use as you like)

Cut eggplant into long, thin strips.  I halved the eggplant, then cut into 1/2 inch long slices.  Put in steamer and cover and steam for 30 minutes.  I only steamed for about 20 minutes.  You want the eggplant cooked, the white gone, but not too mushy.  

While eggplant is cooking, combine all ingredients into a sauce.  You can tweak it to your own taste.  I made it spicy.  I used 2 tsp of a product called Spicy Chili Crisp.  If you don't like spice, just omit.  

Pour the sauce over the cooked eggplant and let it cool.  Refrigerate, but it is better served at room temp, so take it out an hour before serving.  Serve with crackers or small slices of crusty bread.  

Each serving is about 1 WW point.  I like a spoonful of it as a quick snack.  Enjoy.

.  

No comments:

Post a Comment