Thursday, December 24, 2009

Junk in Your Trunk



If you're like me, your trunk is full of unnecessary junk. Well, it's not really junk, but it's stuff you don't need in there all the time. My trunk is a perfect example. I have the following items in my trunk at all times: golf clubs, golf cart, boogie board, wet suit, 2 yoga mats, several canvaas bags, a sweatshirt and lots of assorted stuff I have no need for. This is weighing down my car and reducing the good mileage I should be getting. According to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/, for every extra 100 pounds you carry in your care, you effectively reducing its gas mileage by 2%. While this doesn't sound like much, over time the cost certainly will add up.




There are numerous other steps you can take to improve gas mileage and by following just a few of these you can improve your gas mileage by 10%. That will certainly make a difference. Here are a few more tips to increase your mileage.




1. Keep your tires properly inflated. As simple as this sounds, most of us don't check inflation regularly. Underinflated tires require more energy to roll. Properly inflated tires will add about 3.3% to your fuel economy.




2. Don't drive aggressively. Braking hard and accelerating fast will reduce your mileage. Keep your acceleration even and your braking steady. Keep your speed even.




3. Take extra weight off the car. Besides cleaning the trunk, take off the roof rack and remove miscellaneous item from the interior of the car. Heavy books, boxes of cd's, and toys all add up and add weight.




Asside from getting all of the excess items out of your car, there's one more thing you can get rid of to help increase your car's gas mileage-removing the spare tire..around your waste. Considering it doesn't matter how you get rid of the extra weight your car is carrying around, if you can drop a couple of pounds yourself, it'll be good for both your car's fuel economy and your health. My first job this weekend is to clean out my trunk, then I'll go to work on my spare tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment