Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Kitchen Tips to Save you Time


I love watching those infomercials that demonstrate new products to help you in the kitchen. I've even bought a few in my lifetime. Who can forget the food dehydrator or the sandwich maker or the pasta maker from Ron Popeil? I bought them all. I don't do that anymore. I've learned that I use them once, then watch as they gather dust, until I finally throw them out. Well I got an e-mail from Regina the other day with a cooking tip that I just couldn't believe. It will save you lots of time and aggravation, and it costs absolutely nothing. It's a potato peeler that's not a potato peeler. You have to see it to believe it.




I have tried to get the video on this blog, but I simply can't figure it out. I will keep working on it, but here's what you would see on youtube if I could get it working. Take the potato, take a knife and score it around the middle, just about 1/8inch deep, around the center of the potato. Then pop it in water and cook 15-20 minutes. Take it out, put in ice water for a minute until it cools down. Then, just pull off the skin. It comes off in two pieces. Just fantastic. Sorry I couldn't show you the video, but check out youtube+peeling a potato and you'll probably find it.





Here are a few other kitchen tips that may be of help. When you cook pasta, take the water that the pasta was cooked in, cool it, and use it to water your houseplants. The water contains nutrients that your plants will love.



Finally, to banish ants from the kitchen, find out where the ants are coming from and cover the hole with petroleum jelly. If they're coming across a door, draw a line with chalk. They won't cross the chalk line. This really does work.

No comments:

Post a Comment