Friday, December 18, 2009

Mushroom Ragout You're Gonna Love



I'm usually getting recipes from my son, Phil, as he's the real food maven in the family. But this time I gave him a recipe he's going to try and love. You will too. I asked Ron what he wanted for dinner last night, and he said, "Why don't you try something new?" I wasn't in the mood for a big day in the kitchen. I had some frozen raviolis from Costco (filled with ricotta cheese) that are excellent, so I thought I might enhance them in some way. What I came up with was absolutely delicious. It's a mushroom ragout that I poured over the top of the cooked ravioli. (three to four ravioli per serving).




Mushroom Ragout




1 handful of shitake mushrooms


1 handful of crimini mushrooms


1 handful of oyster mushrooms


or any combination of mushrooms you like, but use several varieties


3/4 c cream


2 cloves garlic


1 handful of flat leaf parsley


salt and pepper to taste




Heat skillet with about 2T. olive oil. Chop garlic and parsley either by hand, or as I did, use a little blender, and add to oil. Add all the mushrooms, and cook for about 10 minutes, until liquid releases and the mushrooms are cooked down. You may have to add a little more oil. Then add approximately 3/4 c. cream, reduce heat to simmer, and cook until cream reduces and you have a thick sauce. I added half the cream initially, then more as it started to reduce. Finally, season with salt and pepper.




This mixture is fantastic. I served it over ravioli, but it would be great as a vegetarian meal over polenta or rice, or you could serve it over toast, like bruschetta. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment