Friday, May 7, 2010

A Great Vegetarian Dish


One of the great things about the Natural and Organic Food Show which I attend every year is that I always discover a new food. This year I found khorasan wheat, and am I ever glad. Khorasan is an ancient relative of modern durum wheat, originating in the Fertile Crescent region. It has a naturally sweet and nutty taste, similar to brown rice. It is highly versitile, has great nutrition and a smooth texture. It is higher in protein and minerals, including selenium, and can be eaten by many people who are sensitive to modern wheat. I bought it at Jimbos in bulk. It was not available the day I went to Henry's but I do believe they normally carry it.

Khorasan is also called Camel's Tooth or the Prophet's Wheat. Legend says it was the grain Noah brought with him on the ark. Here is a salad I recently made. This recipe will serve an army. Cut it in half for family use. Make the whole thing if you're taking it to a party. I just love it.


Khorasan Mediterranean Salad

2 cups khorasan berries (cook in at least 4 cups of water, they expand)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1/2 cup sliced black olives ( I used green olives for a salty flavor)
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
4 stalks diced celery
1 diced red pepper
2 Tablespoons blasamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Preparation: Rinse khorasan grain and place in pot of water, salt and pepper. Use plenty of water, as the grain expands. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until the grains are plumped and a few have burst. Remove from heat, drain and cool.
Place the cooled grain in a salad bowl, add all other ingredients, adjust salt and pepper to taste. Let salad stand for 30 minutes before serving. This recipe takes lss than 15 minutes to prepare (plus cooking time for the wheat). I just love this salad. It is great served with pita bread for lunch, or with roasted chicken for dinner. I hope you enjoy this new (to me anyway) grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment